Rural High School
The original Clayton High School was located on the hill south-east of
Clayton in Norton County Kansas. The three-story brick building housed
both the grade school and high school. In 1914, the first class graduated
with five students. A petition to change from a city to a rural high school
was presented to the voters in April 1923. 199 voted in favor and 137 against
the proposition. In April 1923, the schoolhouse was completely destroyed
by fire, probably due to a furnace explosion. A new high
school was constructed on the west side of Clayton next to the Norton and
Decatur county line. The last graduating class was 1958 with four students.
The high school was torn down by Freeman Higgason in 1960. A total of 259
students graduated from Clayton High School. An alumni reunion is held every
three years for graduates and guests.